This information is provided to assist individuals who are victims or suspect they may be victims of identity theft. It is intended as a general guide, not as legal advice.
Victims of identity theft must act quickly to minimize the damage. It is very important to keep good notes of all conversations and records of all correspondence with your financial institutions and law enforcement agencies, including a log of the names, dates and phone number of persons you contacted. You also should confirm the information in writing. Sending your letters by certified mail, return receipt requested, will provide you with a record of your correspondence.
What to do about Identity Theft:
- Report Identity Theft Immediately!
- Obtain your credit report.
- Contest fraudulent bills.
- Access Fraudulent Account Information.
- Clear your name of false civil and criminal judgments.
- Check resources for further information.
Report ID theft to major credit bureaus. Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus and report that your identity has been stolen. Ask that a "fraud alert" be placed in your file:
- Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289 P.O. Box 1000, Chester, PA 19016-1000.
- Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742) P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013.
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285 P.O. Box 105069, Atlanta, GA 30348
Report stolen checks and stop payment immediately. If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to the appropriate check verification companies. Put stop payments on any outstanding checks that you are unsure of. Cancel your checking and savings accounts and obtain new account numbers. Give the bank a secret password for your account (not mother's maiden name). If your own checks are rejected at stores where you shop, contact the check verification company that the merchant uses.
To report fraudulent use of your checks:
- Chexsystems: 1-800-428-9623
- CrossCheck: 1-800-843-0760
- Equifax: 1-800-437-5120
- International Check Services: 1-800-631-9656
- SCAN: 1-800-262-7771
- TeleCheck: 1-800-710-9898
Report stolen ATM cards and change passwords immediately. Get a new ATM card, account number and password. When creating a password, don't use common numbers like the last four digits of your SSN or your birth date. Monitor your account statement. You may be liable if fraud is not reported quickly.