Timeline

Print

1899

  • The public library in Enid was founded by the Enid Study Club with a reading room at 120 North Independence.

1905

  • The City of Enid accepts the responsibility of the library.
  • Library moves to North Grand.

1907

  • Library is named a Federal Depository Library for government documents.

1908

  • A grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation was accepted in the amount of $25,000.
  • The site at 402 North Independence is purchased.

Carnegie Library1910

  • The Enid Carnegie Library officially opens (August 1, 1910).

1920s-30s

  • The library struggles with funding and building repairs.

1938

  • Through Mrs. Amy Carl, an organized group of "Friends of the Library" furnished the library with funds and materials.

1940s-50s

  • The library building rapidly deteriorates.
  • City government makes appropriation cuts.
  • Circulation and other services grow (including children's story hour, Great Books discussion groups, and a regular newspaper column) despite hard times.

1957

  • A bond issue is defeated by 700 votes (which would have provided a new building).
  • The building was considered unsafe and condemned by the State Fire Marshall.

1959

  • The Enid Public Library and the Garfield County Library merged, thus becoming, "The Public Library of Enid and Garfield County."

1963

  • Another bond issue was brought before voters (backed up by the Chamber of Commerce and active supporters).
  • Bond passes by a two-to-one margin.
  • County commission offered the land for the building (which was the site of the former post office).

Current Library1964

  • The new library is dedicated on October 18, 1964.

1970s-80s

  • Library continues to serve Enid and Garfield county with programs, collections, and other services.

1994

  • The library catalog and circulation process are automated.

1997

  • Public access to the internet is added to the library.
  • Library collection and services grow at a steady pace.

2007

  • In October 2007, a severe storm creates a major indoor disaster in the library.
  • A temporary branch is opened in the Oakwood Mall, named "The Cora Case Porter Branch."

2008

  • Library reopens in March of 2008.
  • Mall branch closes in May of 2008.

2010

  • Library Makeover Project is completed; the entry and main floor of the library gets a new look and new furnishings.