"BEHIND THE MASK II" 2019 CITIZEN FIRE ACADEMY
ROSTER IS FULL
Learn about the lives "Behind the Mask" of an Enid firefighter by participating in the Enid Fire Department Citizen Fire Academy.
The Enid Fire Department will host it's second Citizen Fire Academy program beginning March 26, 2019. The 9-week curriculum is designed to increase understanding of fire and emergency medical operations and to promote citizen interaction with Enid Fire Department personnel.
The training program will consist of both classroom and practical instruction. Participants will meet in 3-hour sessions on Tuesday evenings (6-9 pm) for 9 weeks, a graduation dinner, and an additional Saturday morning live-burn structure fire demonstration at the Autry Technology Center firefighter training facility.
The comprehensive curriculum will be taught by on-duty members of the fire department, highlighting a different area of service each week. Academy participants will have the opportunity to experience many of the fire & emergency tasks of a firefighter. Some of the hands-on experiences will include:
- "Bunk Out" in full structural firefighting protective gear, including SCBA and face mask.
- Handle a charged hose line and "put the wet stuff on the red stuff" to actively extinguish fires.
- In a controlled environment, safely experience a live structure fire training scenario.
- Take part in a search & rescue activity with a blacked-out face mask, simulating a smoke-filled room.
- Extinguish fires using a portable fire extinguisher.
- Climb a 100-foot aerial ladder.
- Cut apart a junk passenger vehicle to learn what's involved in extricating a crash victim.
- Ride-along on fire apparatus to actual emergency incidents and observe firefighters in action.
- Learn about fire origin & cause investigations and arson prosecution.
- Learn about emergency medical service provide by the Enid Fire Department and partners.
All hands-on activities are voluntary, but participation is encouraged.
Classes for the 2019 Academy are scheduled each Tuesday evening beginning March 26th and running through May 21st, followed by a graduation dinner on Thursday, May 23rd where family members are also invited.
The Enid Fire Department is excited to offer this opportunity to the residents of Enid. The purpose of this program is to foster greater community understanding of the training & commitment, duties, skills and capabilities of the members of the Enid Fire Department.
Contact Fire Chief Joe Jackson or Fire Marshal Ken Helms for additional information at (580) 234-0541.