Citizen Fire Academy
March 1, 2019
Enid Fire Department Will Host
--- Behind The Mask II ---
Citizen Fire Academy
Learn about the lives “Behind the Mask” of Enid firefighters by participating in the Enid Fire Department Citizen Fire Academy.
The Enid Fire Department will be hosting a Citizen Fire Academy program beginning March 26th. The 9-week curriculum is designed to increase understanding of fire and emergency medical operations and to promote citizen interaction with Enid Fire Department personnel.
The training program will consist of both classroom and practical instruction. Participants will meet in 3-hour sessions on Tuesday evenings (6-9 pm) for nine weeks, a graduation dinner on Thursday of the final week (May 23rd), and an additional Saturday morning live-burn demonstration at the Autry Technology Center firefighter training center, tentatively scheduled for April 20th from 9 am to 2 pm.
The comprehensive curriculum will be taught by on-duty members of the fire department, highlighting a different area of service each week. Academy participants will have the opportunity to experience many of the fire & emergency tasks of a firefighter. Some of the hands-on experiences will include:
- “Bunk Out” in full structural firefighting protective gear, including SCBA and face-mask.
- Handle a charged hose line and “put the wet stuff on the red stuff” to actively extinguish fires.
- In a controlled environment, experience a live structure fire training scenario.
- Take part in a search & rescue activity with blacked-out masks.
- Extinguish a fire using a portable fire extinguisher.
- Climb a 100-ft aerial ladder.
- Cut apart a junker vehicle to learn what’s involved in extricating a crash victim.
- Ride-along on fire apparatus to actual emergency incidents.
- Learn about fire origin & cause investigations.
- Learn about emergency medical services provided by Enid Fire and service partners.
All hands-on activities are voluntary, but participation is encouraged.
Applications for participation will be available on the Enid Fire Department website at www.Enid.org/FireAcademy and can also be picked up at the Enid Fire Department Central Fire Station at 410 W. Owen K. Garriott Road. Participants must live in or be employed in the City of Enid and must be at least 21 years of age. Applicants will be required to submit to a criminal history background check. This offering of the Academy is limited to 10 participants. There is no cost to the participants. A light dinner will be provided each evening.
The Enid Fire Department is excited to offer this opportunity to the residents of Enid. The purpose of this program is to foster greater community understanding of the training & commitment, duties, skills and capabilities of the members of the Enid Fire Department.
Contact Fire Chief Joe Jackson or Fire Marshal Ken Helms for additional information at (580) 234-0541, or visit the Citizen Fire Academy web page located at www.Enid.org/FireAcademy.